Monday 8 October 2007

Whiteboard animation and pinhole camera 1st - 7th Oct 07

During my first week at NTU I constructed a beer can pin hole camera and with the help of some colleagues created a short whiteboard animation.

The camera was made by placing a piece of photographic paper inside a beer can, piercing the can with a pin and exposing it to light. This was done by taking an empty beer can and cutting off the top with a can opener. To make it light proof a cap was made out of cardboard and gaffer tape. Finally a pin hole was made by poking the can with a pin and the increment being filled away with a mild abrasive. Now the pin hole beer camera was complete the photographic paper was placed inside under a safe light and the pinhole shutter was taped over.
To take a photo I only needed to choose a subject point the can and remove the tape for about 5 seconds, the paper is then ready to be developed in a dark room. I took two photos, one of the boot's library, which appeared to be on fire once I had developed the picture, the other of a skip outside the Waverly building.

Boots Library Photograph

The white board animation I made in a group of four, two German students called Sophie and Roman and two natives, Ross and myself. The film was of a box moving from one side of a tree to another by any means necessary. This was done by drawing the subjects on a white board and photographing it, this created the first frame, the next frame was made by erasing some objects and redrawing them in a slightly different position and again taking a photo. In the end we took near 100 photos, creating a film of a box drilling underground to reach the other side of the tree. I enjoyed this project the most as I often animate at home in my free time although usually with plastercine.

No comments: