Wednesday 29 October 2008

Webreview Part 2:

Birdman

Birdman tries to do a lot, some would say to much and I would agree as it took what felt like a life time to load, most people looking for a portfolio would have given up after a minute of loading time but I'm looking to review so I stuck with it, with a loading time like this it has to be good right? ...right?

I was introduced by a very poorly preloaded opening cinematic that kept jumping so I skipped it only to be shown another lengthy loading screen. After another lifetime I was shown another pointless cinematic and finally a pretty basic looking interface. I clicked on a link and surprise surprise another load screen, it wasn't worth it. The portfolio is technically very impressive but very unnecessary, 3D panels float around representing clients and projects and I felt like it was almost a challenge to click on the one I wanted because they kept moving around so much. Finally I chose to turn the sound off, although this stopped the music the links still made clicking and popping noises which were very annoying. A classic example of interesting design ruined by an over ambitious team thinking perhaps too far from the box.

Samsung Music

Initially the samsung music website shows off its phone and MP3 player in a very clear and simple fashion, choose a device and simple relevant information is presented to you. If you want more information you are redirected to a html page, capable of dealing with more info; the flash page is left clean and uncluttered. After you've looked at their wears the website presents you to play around with a bizarre musical sound scape where the user drags different shapes onto a 3D plane to create sounds and loops. It all seems very pointless but charming none the less.

No comments: